Thursday, June 2, 2011

6/2

Since copy edits and rewrites are complete, I've grown excited at the prospect of seeing my work as an actual book.  My editor and I decided to self-publish a few preliminary copies prior to shopping it out to the big name publishers.  Why you ask?  Well for many reasons:
  1. I'm impatient and I really want to see it as a book.
  2. It will look more professional than just a stack of papers held together by a binder clip when we do shop it.
  3. If for some reason it isn't picked up by a big publisher, we will have the basic means to sell it ourselves through amazon.com, lulu marketplace, etc.
  4. And my last reason is because I'm completely sentimental:  This is my story at its purest form, before its read by many, before it's shopped out.  Right now there have only been three other sets of eyes on it besides mine.  I've kept my story to a very close group of people, all different in their own ways, all mean something to me.  And they are who helped me shape my story.  I am forever grateful to them (and they will all be getting a preliminary copy).

All in all I think it's a great idea and I cannot wait to actually hold my book in my hands, bound with a cover and formatted pages.  It's going to be a great moment and just in time for my birthday next week! 
 
Writing My Song has been an incredible journey and I could not be more grateful for the opportunity to write this piece.  I hope those of you who decide to read it when the time comes enjoy it and take your own meaning from it.  I could write blogs and blogs of words describing my emotions in this piece and how I feel about the process and end product, and perhaps one day I will open up and express those things in great detail, but for now those truths are for me and my three closest supporters to know, and that's how it will remain for some time.
 
But know that this story does mean a lot to me, and I hope that it will mean something for the rest of you.  The support I have received for my art and my words has been overwhelming and humbling.  When you read each page, you are making my dream come true, and for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Keri

    You should be very proud of what you've accomplished. The book is a wonderful piece of art and it will touch many people soon enough. It is the first of many more to come. It's been an absolute pleasure working with you.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete