Yesterday was the first day I had looked at my book in over a week. I decided to heed the gentle advice of my freelance editor that has been working with me on this project: "Let it sit for a week."
I remember staring at him blankly, "I don't know if I can do that."
He stared back at me and held out his hand for me to shake, "Promise?"
He was serious. I could see it in his face. He also knows about my infatuation with words and that the word promise has a strong meaning to me. I placed my hand in his, sealing the promise of not reading it for a week. I kept my promise (I always do) and picked it up for the first time last night. I read the first two scenes of part one, before stopping. The end of the second scene always gets to me for some reason and I put it down. I immediately understood why he had told me to wait a week to read it. I appreciated my writing more.
At the moment, my book is with my editor for copy editing and structural changes. I'm to review his changes tomorrow and make my own tweaks if necessary. Then it will be fine tuned and ready for its next step in the journey.
On a side note, I had the pleasure yesterday of telling someone I am a writer. I love how that sounds, I'm a writer. It's a beautiful phrase. But like all writers, even when I complete a project, I still need to write. It's like breathing. I actually began my second novel, just playing around with a scene that had been on my mind. I actually know what the next three books I write are going to be about. Told you I am a writer!
No comments:
Post a Comment